Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Remains of the Day



Incredibly, there are still many tangible relics of the mining industry to be found. Every so often on our wanderings, we find a rusty winch or wagon lying rotting away in some off-the-beaten-track place. It's very special when you discover them, as increasingly they are being stolen or vandalised by people with no feeling or respect for history. Currently metal thieves have been ransacking a couple of sites so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't put any identification on these shots.

A miner's clay pipe left deep in an adit

An old pair of miner's hob-nailed boots in a slate mine chamber

A mine workshop


Dave Sallery has some super photos of surviving artefacts at his Remains of the Slate Industry site.

A link to Graham Stephen's excellent blog with a very fine post on "dereliction".

6 comments:

weston said...

brilliant especially the pipe and the bolt,love em

Iain Robinson said...

Cheers, Wez!

Mark A said...

A wonderful opening shot... It evokes happy memories of discovering Pen Yr Orsedd quarry way back in the mid-1980's. Sadly, I did not have the equipment or the ability to photograph what I found to a decent standard. Neither did I realise the significance of it all, until I returned some years later to find much change and destruction. Somewhere, I still have the black and white negatives of the planing machine I found there.

Iain Robinson said...

Thanks, Mark. I wish I'd been noseying around slate quarries back in the seventies, instead of spending my time on the Ffestiniog Railway! Even in the past year, things have changed beyond all recognition around the Tuxford area of Votty. You are so right in that, to quote Joni Mitchell, you don't know what you've got till it's gone!

geotopoi said...

Some terrific finds there, Iain, and lovely, evocative shots. The window-lit bench of bits and bobs is classic. I wonder what ever became of the quarrymen who left their pipe and boots there...?

Iain Robinson said...

Thanks, Graham. I love finding something like the clay pipe. As you suggest, it's a link back to the "old man".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...