Saturday, 23 June 2012

Point Lynas Lighthouse



The opposite of mining, but perhaps we were attracted by the bright light...112,000 candela to be precise, although I don't know what that would be in lumens. I certainly don't think there would be a problem illuminating the vast chambers underground in Wrysgan with that lamp, although it might be a problem dragging it up the steep incline...

Anyway, Point Lynas is on the north east corner of the lovely Isle of Anglesey. We encountered the place after having failed to find some mines that are reputedly to be seen in the beautiful sea cliffs round here. The lighthouse sits along a very minor road from Llaneilian and is, not surprisingly, on the Coastal Path.

The views out to sea are spectacular, while the sea is filled with huge container ships heading for Liverpool, laden no doubt with phones, computers and white goods from China. On the eastward side, in the lee of the wind, a great number of ships seemed to be waiting, for the tide possibly.

In the victorian era, Point Lynas was a pilot station and the captains of ships would anxiously await the sighting of a pilot cutter to help them navigate the vagaries of the sea around the Mersey. The first light station was built here in 1766, a little further towards the land than today's light. The present structure was built in 1835 by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board at a cost £1,165. It was only electrified in 1951!

The light gives a "white occulting beam every ten seconds" and was fully automated in 1989.

Jetty, horse and one of the many ships lying in the lee of the headland

The buildings in the courtyard are now let as holiday cottages. Fine, until one foggy night...

5 comments:

lustrebox said...

Interesting stuff! Another place I've not yet been.

Iain Robinson said...

Cheers, Graham. It's well worth a look! It was sold for 1.5 million a couple of years ago, but is on the market again. I don't fancy that fog horn, though...

Mark A said...

Some great images of this location Ian. I have two memories of this place. First it was always windy, sometimes fearsomely so, probably because it was a favorite family trip on days when the weather was not suitable for the beach. Second, the fog horn is loud!

I do not recall any mining remains, but it is possible to see the Llaneilian slate quarry from the coast path.. Alun Richards is a little out with his grid reference. I think it is the feature at SH48169250. When I visited there was no public path past the site so I did not explore further. However, that now seems to have changed.

workbike said...

Thanks for posting: I do like Lighthouses.

I think my boys should have that notice on their bedroom door.

Iain Robinson said...

Thanks, Mark. I found it very difficult to photograph, so I'm glad you liked the shots. I will check out that Llaneilian slate quarry, thanks for the tip. (reaches for the slate gazetteer)... I had seen some photos of a mine on Aditnow, accessed by a set of precarious steps from the top of the cliffs. Not possible, these days, to get down to it, but there were some intriguing photos. I will do a little more research and come back on that one.

Andy- glad you liked the lighthouse!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...