Friday, 24 August 2012

A Nocturnal Foray


An old lead mine not far from where we live. It's a bat roost, so off-limits between September and May...also it's access depends on goodwill between the landowner and mine-explorers, so I can't give the name.
The mine is on several levels, many of which converge in a magnificent junction underground. One tunnel goes off from this, seemingly endlessly, finally ending in a blind drive. It becomes narrower and lower, as if the miners were running out of patience or, more likely, money.

 The first few hundred yards were thigh-deep in water. Of course, this was the occasion I decided to wear wellies as opposed to wet socks...squelch, squelch. Coming out of the mine, it was strange not to be encountering the usual warm glow of light from the entrance. Thousands of greeny-blue sheeps' eyes reflected in the light from our cap lamps as we changed and I emptied my wellies. I can recommend visiting mines at night, so long as there's not too much of a walk-in. The sounds of owls and the constant crunching of grass from the sheep was quite magical. I kept expecting the sound of a fox barking, but then I remembered, that was only on TV programmes...











2 comments:

geotopoi said...

More interesting chthonic scenes :-)

Iain Robinson said...

I had to look that word up- thanks for expanding my vocab! Glad you liked the pics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...